Saturday, July 5, 2008

Turtles and Turduckens

Critters indeed!
It must have been a brave man to be the first to eat a Crawfish... or for that matter a shrimp...
or to pluck a succulent, meaty leg from a frog...
or to fend off vicious attacks by the snapping claws of a crab to get at it's tender meat...
or to figure out how to make alligator sausage without offending the beast...
or to make boudin or andouille without waking up the pig...
or catfish...can't forget catfish...how they "grabble" for them (catch them by hand) is beyond me... but I certainly like them grilled and perhaps smothered with a crawfish etoufee...
oysters too! How the hell did they figure out they could put them on a grill and chargrill them? I have a hard enough time trying to shuck them myself!

And what kind of beast is a Turducken?
How did they get all those critters to mate to begat this new life form that is evidently part turkey, duck and chicken, stuffed with sausage...

Turtle soup? Why not?

I'm sure I've missed a critter or two in my listing here and I don't pretend to know everything about cajun foods; I am definitely not a professional here. But I do know you don't go to Louisiana and order hamburgers and hot dogs.... If you have any advice or guidance or have an antidote to share please feel free to drop me a line...

Hope you all are enjoying your holiday weekend... Be careful out there and check in again...
-greg

No comments: