Friday, July 4, 2008

where have you been eating?

The first time I visited New Orleans it was with Frank Sinatra. I was in the city for less than a day while we did a show at the Superdome and afterwards I had to fly out for another gig in Washington D.C. late that evening. Still, I managed to run over to the Acme Oyster Bar in the French Quarter for a dozen and a po boy. Since that quick visit I've been to New Orleans another five times for work and play, including a pass through in the middle of the night when I was driving back home from Texas where I was researching my second book. I stopped at Cafe Du Monde for a much needed coffee and a cache of beignets.

A familiar question asked by the people of New Orleans is, "where have you been eating?" No matter the repeated ledger, it's met with an approving nod. New Orleans brims with restaurants and all are worth a visit. Armed with our Zagat guide, Janet and I already have a good idea how our 3 day eating soiree will go, but we're open to suggestions.

For the past four years I've gone to Michael Arnone's crawfish festival in Augusta, NJ. It is usually held the end of May. There's enough crawfish boil there, don't worry. If you're not able to make a trip like the one Janet and I are going to make, you should look into this yearly event.

There used to be a place in Chelsea called Cajuns. It is gone now, but that place was a lot of fun. A live dixieland jazz band played for entertainment.
Twenty years ago when I traveled to Hilo, Hawaii there was a restaurant in the hills called Roussel's and it was started by the original chef from that New York City restaurant. It was quite a find.

Just outside of Houston, in Seabrook, right past the Johnson Space Center is Sonny's Crazy Cajun Food Factory. Over the years as work has taken me to Houston, I've made my way to Sonny's and each time there I do hurt myself. But, it's more than the Frog Legs and Gumbo, it's Sonny's own cache of moonshine... ask nicely he'll give you a taste.

That's it for now... I'm hungry!
-greg

No comments: